Sunday, September 30, 2012

The loss of a friend

You can never put into words the feelings that go thru your mind and heart when you lose a loved one. No matter if it is a friend, coworker, family member....the loss is hard.

Friday, September 28th, we lost a wonderful, carefree, bright woman. Sue Swanson. She was 68 years old. She was my boss, my friend, a mother, a wife, a grandmother....she was such a ray of sunshine. It saddens me how quickly this happened. Just a matter of 2 weeks. Even though we knew the path she was on a week ago...it is still hard. Hard to imagine this world without her in it. I know it has to be 100 times more difficult for her wonderful husband and her children.

Sue had worked for our company for 10 years. Fantastic employee....great and fair manager....over all wonderful well rounded lady. She will be truly missed in the optical world.

Sue was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer just 2 weeks ago. It is something we just can't put our heads around. Not possible.

I have lost a lot of friends and family to Cancer. Too many to list. But just in the last 3 weeks....3 people alone! It is just crazy.

I decided to be a part of a group that would donate cinch sacs to the local Cancer Chapter in their areas. My "fundraiser" has taken on a new meaning to me. I have always tried to help where I can to fight cancer.....but just in the last 3 weeks....Sue, Nancy and Kim....they have inspired me to do a little more. To reach out to others. So my goal is to simply...buy 10 pink and white Cinch Sacs...fill them with little things...a few inspirational messages...and let the new owners know...they are not alone. They will never be alone in this fight...this journey...to beat cancer. My goal is 10....maybe I can get to 20....who knows. But I WILL reach my first goal for sure. I will fill these bags and then take them to the cancer center at our local hospital so that they can give them to some patients. Even though they are there for a days worth of chemo..maybe their first...could be their last....but I want them to leave that day knowing someone...is thinking about them. Someone is on their side and praying that this ugly monster will go away.

This is my goal...this is my new inspiration....this keeps me from being AS sad about our losses...because I am taking that hurt...sadness....anger...and turning it into something good.

Someday we can rise up and jump for joy because we will not have anymore cancer. In the meantime....we need to hold, pray and reach out to the loved ones that have this road to travel.



No comments: