Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Mans Best Friend

Meet Benji. He is our 13 inch Saddle Back Beagle. We have had him for a little over 10 years. He didn't use to be so white around his nose but age has turned him grey.
He is a good dog. We never could let him out to run around because once he got a wiff of a rabbit or deer...he was gone. Or he LOVED to run into the horse pasture and roll in horse poop. Not a good thing I will just say.
Sadly we are afraid that Benji is getting ready to pass on. We are hoping that we are wrong but the last two days he hasn't ate anything and just lays in the same spot. When he gets up to walk he fumbles around and can't really maintain a good balance. I sat with him yesterday for a while and just talked with him. He never once wagged his tail or barked. It breaks my heart.
If my husband can get off work early today then it looks like we will be taking him to the vet for a quick check up. Our only option if there is something wrong will be to put him to sleep. I know it will be the hardest thing in the world to do but I don't want him suffering and not being his happy self.

It's amazing how close animals get into our hearts. How much they love us and how much we love them back.

Yesterday afternoon as I was sitting down with him....our other dog which is a Black Lab and huge was just bouncing around all over. He came up to me and ever so gently sat his big black paw on my hand and just sat there....for 10 minutes...like he was holding my hand and telling me it would be okay. That was when I lost it. We don't realize how much these animals do understand and love us. They are truly amazing.

1 comment:

Crafty Diva said...

Becky- I just read your post and I'm crying with you. I know how hard it is to say good bye to your best friend. I hope the vet says everything is ok and gives him something to feel better. My best friend Jack had to be put down six years ago. I made arrangements with the vet to let me hold him on my lap outside of the office because he always was afraid to go in. It's an honor to be with them at the end but it's always a hard decision. I have my own beagle at home now. He's 8. I don't know what I would do without him. Just know that someone is thinking of you and your pain today. And his. Take care.