Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Guest Room Redo

My son moved out years ago. I haven't really done much with his room since he moved out. I started redoing the furniture which was my grandmother's. I still haven't finished the dresser. And then it became a dump all for my Thirty One bags and my Artwork. We were going to build an entertainment center but then the cancer happened and now I have three huge cabinets sitting in there. It was just not happening but I so badly want a guest room. Kayla's old room was converted into Danie's room when she comes to stay with us so I wanted something pretty neutral if we had company. I spend so much time on Pinterest and watching DIY shows that my mind just never stops. I saw someone else do a brick focal wall using Peel and Stick wallpaper and knew immediately that is what I wanted to do in here. So the project began :)

My first tip...measure your wall and make sure you have enough. I just knew two rolls would be plenty...umm....no. I needed 4. And the 4th one was hardly used at that! So this project was spread over two weekends. AND keep in mind it is still in process but this is where I am currently at.



 As you can see the room is really dark. Originally we had Shawn's guitars hanging along both walls. It was a really cool boy's room. I took the old quilt from my bed and used it on this one for the time being just so it had "something". I can't show you the rest of the room because....well....it's just bad! LOL. Cabinets, unfinished furniture, junk...you get the picture.

So peel and stick wallpaper is AWESOME. And you can pretty much get it anywhere...Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, Amazon. Just play close attention to your square footage. The rolls I found on Amazon maybe cheaper but they don't have nearly enough on the roll for a large wall. This room is 12x12 in size. I decided on Home Depot. It was $38 a roll....ouch....BUT what an impact it made and that was pretty much all the expense in this room.

So I started on the left side by using a level and making a vertical line 24" from the corner. This will help you get the first strip of wallpaper straight. Then it is just a matter of lining up the bricks on your next strip. Make sure you have a squeegee type item so that you can work out the bubbles. Do about a 12" block at a time when it comes to peeling off the paper.

I used an exacto knife to cut off the excess around the trim and the plug in/phone jack areas. I also ended up painting the top of the bed headboard black so that it popped from the wall. Otherwise it was blending in too much. Now I feel it has some character. While I was cleaning out my Thirty One closet I found this trinket tray. It was perfect. And the large picture I purchased back around December from a facebook ad I found. I will eventually add a floating shelf above the headboard to display the blue Mason jars and a few more blue pieces that I may find along the way. I'm already working on the rest of the room and can't wait to share that when it is finished as well.



Total cost so far:
Home Depot Peel and Stick wallpaper $38 a roll (I needed 4 rolls)
Home sign from a facebook ad - $25
Cute 3 piece jar in a tray set from Michael's on clearance $3
Quilt ladder - handmade by Art from the Heart (aka Billy and myself)
Blanket on the quilt rack was a gift
I already had the jars in my craft room so just refocused them here.
The original quilt was folded down at the foot of the bed once I found this white quilt at Target - $60 (I had an in store credit so it ended up only costing me $10)
Pillows from Thirty One and Sanctuary Girl - already had them laying around





1 comment:

Florence said...

I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!