Saturday, January 14, 2012

Altered Canvas and USArtQuest

I love to take something totally simple and make it into something that will be loved and remembered. My life revolves around making others happy and smiling. It is what makes me tick. So I was super excited when my first project with USArtQuest hit me head on. I decided to alter a canvas for a dear close friend of mine at work. She just recently got married in September. I was so upset that I couldn't attend her wedding as we had a large family outing that day also. But even if I couldn't be there...I wanted to make her something so that she new I was there in heart.

This is a fun and easy project that you can make for yourself or as a gift for that special someone.

To start off - find the size canvas you would like to use. For this project I used a 12x12 stretched canvas. I also have a few pages from a book I picked up at the GoodWill, a 12x12 piece of scrapbook paper and some Perfect Paper Adhesive (PPA) in Matte.


Step 2: Tear the pages into strips and cut down the scrapbook paper to about a 10.5x10.5 size. With a sponged brush I spread around the PPA around the edges of the canvas and then began layering the paper. Layer a good thick coat of the PPA on top of the pages also.



Step 3: Now layer the scrapbook page onto the canvas with the PPA.


Step 4: While the paper is still lighlty damp...I added some PPA to the back of the photo and adhered it down where I wanted it to be. I lightly brushed the PPA around the edges of the picture. Because this is a matte finish adhesive it left a light matte finish around the pictures edges. I then took some cream paint and just brushed around the edges of the canvas so that it would have an aged feel. Let the canvas totally dry before proceeding.

Step 5: Once the canvas is dry...take a black pen (I love using the Pilot Permaball) and go around the edges with some doodling. You will find that doodling is one of my favorite things to do on projects :)


Step 6: Now it is time to start layering the embellishments. I used the PPA to adhere the sticker letters.



This project took approx 30 minutes to complete, including drying time.

and don't forget.... Sue and USArtQuest will be on in the US, Jan. 17th - 6 am and 12 pm est!!! Come watch Sue's demos with fabulous techniques - and products you have to see.


No comments: