Monday, February 21, 2011

She is here....

Well she finally made it here. We were beginning to wonder if she ever would. It was a LONG weekend. We got to the hospital at about 8 pm friday night. That Labor & Delivery ward was FULL let me just say. They were coming out of the woodwork in labor. So Kayla kept getting put back and put back because she was an induction and not in labor. We waited and waited. Finally at about 1 am Saturday they got her a room and the fun began. I guess it was about 2 am, or around that time, that they gave her the pill to begin softening her cervix. They had said it would be Saturday afternoon before she would ever deliver so we went home for a few hours to try and get some sleep. Needless to say we only got about 2 hours of sleep if that then headed back to the hospital.

When we got there she had not really made much progress and in a few hours they started her on Petocin. We waited. And waited. And waited.

Sometime in the afternoon (around lunch time I guess) they broke her water...then a few hours later they checked her and she was getting close to 4 cm. Her contractions were about 2 minutes apart and she was in a lot of pain. They came in and began the epidural drip. I have to take a moment to say what a special moment that became. She could have one person in the room with her and she asked for me. I sat there with her...holding her....soothing they got her ready to start the epidural. It was such a special moment for me and one I don't think I will ever forget. Mother daughter bonding I guess you could say.

It didn't take long for the epidural to kick in and then she was a new person. No pain....lets get this going. The midwife was epecting about a 9 pm delivery. We were okay with that. It had been a long 24 hours and we were all tired. I tried to get Kayla to get a nap in where she could but it is hard with so many people coming in and out. 9 pm came and she was at about 6 cm. Looking good. 10 we are at 8 cm. woohoooo. Now they are saying about midnight we should be ready.

Close to midnight....they came to check her. Her contractions had slowed down. The baby still looked good. But sadly she had slipped back to 6 cm and her cervix was swelling. Her body was going consulting with the Dr. they decided her only option was a C-Section. So they got Kayla ready and I put on the beautiful blue suits (Kayla asked for me to go in with her) and we rolled out to the OR. She was scared to death...I felt so bad for her. You get nervous that the baby is okay...why couldn't I have her...what did  I do wrong...will I be okay, etc. the pain meds they were giving her were making her cold and jittery....nauseated....she couldn't enjoy the moment at all. but I sat there and held her hand and talked to her and just let her know what all is going on.

And then Tensley Danielle was born. She came out screaming! It was such a beautiful moment. I got to take pictures of them removing her and it was really cool (you have to understand that I love dr shows and such). I'm trying not to cry so that I cold take pictures. I was fogging up my camera lens breathing so They started working on getting Kayla back together and I just oohed and awwhhed over that baby. She was perfect. Her head was out of sorts because the problem with the birth...she was stuck. She was stuck in the pelvis area and her head would not decend down the birth canal all the way so her head and conformed to the birth canal. Kayla would never of been able to deliver her naturaly with the position the baby was in.

they handed Danie to me and I just cried. she was beautiful. And I held her for Kayla to see and touch. She was so amazed to finally see what had been nudging her for 9 months. Once amazing experience. A moment I will never forget. Mother, daughter and granddaughter...all together. Seeing each other for the first time. It's not every day you get to see a life begin. 20 years ago I watched my first life got to experience her watch her childs first beginning. all I can say...amazing. I can't even put it into words.

So at 12:35 Sunday morning - after more than 24 hours of labor
 Feb 20th, 2011 - Tensley Danielle Thackston was born.
She weighted 7lbs and 6.5 oz. 19 inches long.
She is perfect.

Mom is doing well. She is pretty grouchy that is for sure and will bite your head off in a heartbeat. Finally at 6 pm Sunday they took little Danie away from her, which just made her more upset, but she needed rest. They removed the catheter and she walked from the bed to the chair. Sadly.....they had to put the catheter back in because she wasn't going to the bathroom. Minor set back. Danie is not latching on so they had to formula feed her...just another minor set back...but that is okay. My job is to comfort Kayla...let her know that all the set backs are okay and that each day is a new learning experience for her. Just take it all one step at a time.

Pappy and I are way to excited and can't wait for them both to come home. I have a full week while I am off trying to do all her running around to find a pediatrician, WIC, insurance stuff....and the list goes on. Sooooo with that said I am signing off for a while today...getting Shawn up ready for school and heading back up to the hospital to spend some time with my daughter and grandbaby :)


Jewel said...

Aww... I had some of those same things happen when I had my daughter. I know how scary it can be for a new mom. IT will all work out.

Janet Z said...

Becky she is beautiful!!!! WTG Grandma!!